Friday, December 31, 2010

A New Year's Eve Play-date With My Friends. ( You don't have to leave home!)




Intention is stronger than Resolution!

Maybe you are tired of all the superficial new year's hoopla? Forced fun and revelry? Don't we really desire a time to honor the year that has past and dream about the year ahead?  Have you given yourself any time to be grateful for the lessons learned in 2010 and dream, hope and plan for your upcoming year? 

I decided that I wanted most for this new year's eve a time to play and reflect and dream before ushering in 2011. Want to join me? 

I plan to make a Vision Board or Notebook to capture all my longings for the new year. It's not magic or voodoo, but we all know that what we focus upon in our lives is what we grow.  IF I focus my thoughts on health, I tend to feel and act in a more healthy manner. It's just that simple.  I already keep a gratitude journal and if you haven't tried that yet, I highly recommend it as well. More on gratitude later. 

So, tonight, I am having a playdate/picinic in my den with all my markers and magazines and glue sticks and glitter and great music. Why not?  I invite you to join me wherever you are. If you do, let me hear how it went for you! I'd love to share in your dreams for the new year!  I will celebrate with you! Have fun!
How to Make A Vision Board ( Adapted from an article I found on the net):

Materials
To make a vision board, gather the following materials:
  • Poster board: a matte finish is recommended
  • Newspapers/magazines: ideally, you’re looking for print material with words or phrases to help illustrate you goals in bright color. For example, if you’re hoping to vacation in an exotic location, travel magazines provide the needed imagery.  And this isn't limited to material things or vacations, it can be photos of nature if you want to spend more time outdoors. Or photos of an organization where you want to volunteer .  You get the idea. 
  • Glue, scissors, markers: preferably rubber cement and permanent markers to prevent bleeding.
Directions
  1. Reflect on the year that passed. What were your priorities? What would you like to focus on in the year ahead?  Begin making a list of the things, experiences and character traits you desire. Consider your faith, career, family, love, abundance, leisure, health, etc.
  2. After looking over your list again, begin flipping through magazines. Look for images or words that will help you to illustrate your goals, and cut them out. You may also draw sketches or use photos.
  3. Once you’re ready, grab your poster board. In the center, write a title (Mary 2011: A Year of Balance) or include a happy, smiling photo of yourself. Surrounding the title, place photos and words, glitter or stickers, or anything that gives you inspiration.
  4. Use markers to write your goals in positive, present-tense language: “I feel confident in my new job, I am in a fulfilling relationship, I am debt-free, I give back to my community, I am walking on a beach in Hawaii,” and so on. ( I tend to focus less on things and more on internal growth and relationships, but to each his/her own).
  5. Picture the year to come, and allow yourself to feel excited by your dreams. Place your board in a location where you can view it often to remind yourself of the good things to come.
Celebrate!
If you’re looking for an alternative New Year’s Eve celebration, consider inviting a few friends over for a vision board party. Before midnight, present your vision boards to the group, and encourage people to engage in a discussion about their dreams. This time when you pop the champagne at midnight, you’ll really have something to celebrate—a year of abundant joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment